Friday, June 15, 2012

Sizzling Summer Tip # 3

Writing is contagious!

Kindergartners can and will write. The most important ingredient in the recipe for writing in kindergarten, especially if the children do not have any previous experience with writing, is the attitude of the teacher. If the teacher pretends that the children will write, they begin to expect that they will. Use language that indicates that you believe the children are already writing, that what they are doing is writing. “Let me see what you wrote.” Yes...a capital at the beginning of your sentence...nice job" “Wow! You wrote that?” "You did a great job using spaces between your words" “What are you thinking of writing about today?” etc.

Resource found at Writing Fix Website.

Summer Rocks,
Amber

5 comments:

  1. Another great tip! I agree with you about students following the attitude of the teacher when it comes to writing. I try to make writing a fun time in our classroom & I feel that this year's group showed a lot of growth in writing. Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree! If the teacher knows the students can do it, the students start believing they can!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blog is fantastic! Please go take a look at mine I'm a newbie at all this but I'm having so much fun learning from great blogs like this one.
    www.goingbacktokinder..blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY agree with this...ATTITUDE is the key! Having come from 5th grade to 5K for the first time, I was AMAZED by what my little people could do! I told them they amazed me A LOT, and I really think my positive attitude helped them to flourish into wonderful little beginning writers. (Of course, having YOU, AMBER, as my mentor was also very helpful.) LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wake up call for me! My kinders can write but sometimes my attitude can be a roadblock. I struggle with teaching writing and I need to make sure my attitude isn't holding us back but is encouraging my little writers!

    I love your blog! I hope you'll check out my new "manly" blog!

    Greg
    Www.kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace