Friday, September 16, 2011

Names & Letter Centers

Here is a "SNAP-SHOT" of our thematic centers this week.  If you have any questions, please let me know! 

Making our "friends" names in play-doh.

The students used water colors to find out whose "SECRET NAME" they had.  They could not wait to see if they got their own name or a friend's name.  I got the template from Heidisongs   http://heidisongs.blogspot.com/

We listened to the story, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom on CD and then traced the lower-case letters from A to Z.

We worked on some AB patterns.  You can get the template from Kindergarten Crayons (and many more great freebies!). http://kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com/

Letter Bang
Place all the cards in the middle of the table.  When a student draws a card, he/she says the letter.  If the student gets the letter correct, he/she gets to keep it.  If the student does not get the letter correct, he/she has to put it back into the pile.  If the student draws a "BANG" card, he/she has to put ALL their cards back into the pile.  The student with the most cards at the end ~ wins.

I got this idea from Mrs. Jump.  When the student was finished with their bus I glued it onto white construction paper and made it into a classroom-made book. 
http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/
This is a picture from Miss N's classroom.  On a black piece of paper write their names in white crayon.  Spend a good 2 hours on a Saturday night and die cut little colored squares (HE HE HE).  I remind the students to dab the glue stick onto the little square not the black piece of paper!

8 comments:

  1. What font do you use to make the Play-doh names? Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a font that our Tech guy put on our computers. It is called...ABC Headlines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is from the CD "Fonts4Teachers". You can find it at http://www.fonts4teachers.com. There might be others like this one, but this is the one I have on my computer. =) Cute ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many wonderful pictures and ideas on your blog...I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Love your blog. Can you please put a "follow by email" link on hee?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the water color and the play doh name idea! I'm trying to figure out how to fit in some name activities into my pre-school schedule. I love doing themes, and I only have my students for about 3 hours. It's hard to squeeze in everything I want to do, but I must make room for these activities!!

    Creating & Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you create the Chicka Chicka tracing page and is it available for download? I am loving the new ideas to use with K's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pictures aren't working any more. :(

    ReplyDelete

Code line 7 9 is for loading jQuery library. Remove this line if you’ve already loaded it somewhere else in your blog. Hint: If your blog has an image slider, carousel or something with fading effect running, chances are it is powered by jQuery. If this widget doesn’t work, the first thing you want to do is comment out or remove this line. To use your own button, replace the URL in line 3 with the direct link URL to the image. Make sure to keep the quotes. To reposition the button, replace